Tuesday 28 June 2011

pancake sundays...


I love getting up early(ish) on a Sunday and making my flatmates pancakes. Not only is it quick, easy and takes minimal effort to get lots of yummy pancakes, I like to treat my hardworking friends. Also, I think they are a great hangover cure as they soak up all the badness from the night before (NB:this has not been clinically tested!). I always follow my mum's age-old recipe but this time substituted normal milk for soya as one of my friends who was eating with us is lactose intolerant:


Ingredients (to make about 15 medium sized pancakes):


220g/8oz plain flour (sifted)
pinch of salt
4 medium eggs
400ml/14fl oz milk mixed with 150ml/6fl oz water


A drop of vegetable/sunflower oil:
I use this when heating the pan to make it non-stick. I only do this for the first pancake and as long as you have a non-stick pan all the other pancakes can do without any extra oil.


Preparation (5-10 mins)


  • Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl with a sieve. Make a well in the centre and break the eggs into it. Whisk the eggs and incorporate the flour from the edge into it.
  • Then, gradually add small quantities of the milk and water mixture and whisk until mixture is smooth.
  • Pour a little sunflower/vegetable oil into the pan and leave it to heat for a few minutes.
  • Turn the heat down to a medium fire and place a ladle full of mixture into the pan and make sure the bottom is covered evenly.
  • Leave to cook for a few minutes until the bottom is slightly crispy.
  • Flip with a fish slice and cook for another minute or so on the other side.
  • Serve with lemon juice, sugar, jam, fruit, syrup or honey. You can also make savoury pancakes with cheese and ham for those without a sweet tooth. Roll the pancake and serve on a plate. Voila, Bon Appetit!



I hope that you have fun making these! Let me know how it goes!
Hasta pronto!
Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment